Turmeric & Orange Cookies
These zingy turmeric cookies are definitely one to try, the warmth of the turmeric really compliments the citrus flavours. Perfect for all seasons.
100g icing sugar
175g unsalted butter
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon orange zest
2 tablespoon orange juice
½ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- With a food processor or electric mixer combine the flour, confectioners’ sugar, baking powder, salt, orange zest, ginger and turmeric.
- Add the butter, chopped into squares and mix until the butter is in small pieces throughout the mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix the vanilla paste and orange juice, add into the mixture and mix until it forms into a dough.
- Place the dough on a sheet of parchment paper and roll into a log. The log should be approximately 7” long, the shorter the log is the larger the biscuits will be. Place the log in the middle of the paper and wrap the parchment paper around the dough.
- Chill the dough in a fridge for at least 2 hours.
- When ready to bake: Preheat the oven to 160ºC, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap the dough and cut into slices approximately ½ cm thick. Place the slices on the baking parchment approximately 1” apart.
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until the edges start to turn golden. The surface of the biscuits should not be brown. Take the biscuits out of the oven and transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- I dusted with icing sugar when the biscuits were cool but this is optional.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container, the biscuits will stay fresh for up to 2 weeks.
- Amy Griffiths